Monday, May 9, 2011

Curating the Web -- Bookmarking Services

My last post about blogging and sharing links on social networks got me thinking more about creating enduring content on the web.  One of the big challenges I've run into using Facebook and Twitter is finding a way to easily organize the links I share.  I know services like trunk.ly provide a chronological archive of links I've shared, but sometimes I want to go back and find something I shared about a particular topic.  I've long been concerned that technologies that facilitate information sharing have outpaced the development of tools that allow us to process / make sense of all the information being exchanged. I think this is why tools like storify, diigo, and google bookmarks, and delicious are either emerging or still around.  Although social bookmarking is considered by some to be (by web 2.0 standards) a trend whose time has come and gone, I think there's still promise here, and apparently so do popular technology investors.

Here's hoping we can still make sense out of the web.